Industry, innovation, and infrastructure is the 9th priority on the Sustainable development Goals list.
Infrastructure and innovation are very important drivers of economic growth and development.
Technology is also key to finding lasting solutions to both economic and environmental challenges.
CHALLENGES AND EFFECTS OF LACK OF INNOVATION, AND INFRASTRUCTURE
More than 4 billion people still don’t have access to the Internet and 90% are from developing countries.
Furthermore, about 1 to 1.5 billion people don’t have access to reliable phone services.
There is lack of access market, information, and training due to lack of infrastructure creating a rift in doing business.
And about 2.6 billion people in the developing world are facing difficulties in accessing full-time electricity and other basic amenities.
The effect of this is seen in the limited availability of knowledge and its non-circulation of such knowledge. Industry ‘experts’ are late on knowledge and trends and are further forced to continue with outdated technology.
GOALS OF INDUSTRY, INNOVATION AND INFRASTRUCTURE
Some goals under this include:
- Develop quality, reliable, sustainable and resilient infrastructure to support economic development and human well-being
- Promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and significantly raise industry’s share of employment and gross domestic product by 2030
- Increase the access of small-scale industrial and other enterprises, in particular in developing countries, to financial services, including affordable credit, and their integration into value chains and markets among other goals
- Technology is the key to the future which means more invest and attention needs to be paid to it
- Equal access to info and knowledge via technology to boost economic development
- Investment in quality infrastructure which will also boost tourism of all kind including education and health
- Promote sustainable industries, and invest in scientific research, new patents, innovation, and entrepreneurship
- Investment in transport and renewable energy are very important, as they aid the growth of industries and information and communication technologies
- Cultivating a maintenance culture to maintain and sustain the already-available resources and infrastructures
- Improve income-generating industries like agriculture, textile/fashion, entertainment industries and scout out potential ones to invest in
- Availability and also affordability of data and technology
South Korea, China, and India are very good examples in innovating and building infrastructures for up and coming industries.
This has an influence on Responsible Consumption and Production and its activities affect life Affordable and Clean Energy.
Find detailed information and other statistics on the UNDP site.
You can find me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
- Happy New Year 2020 - January 10, 2020
- Leave Your Comfort Zone - August 3, 2019
- Improvement: The Largest Room - August 2, 2019